Joan Mir confirmed he made the decision to leave Honda at the Jerez Grand Prix last month. Mir said Honda gave him no news about his future at Jerez and that he does not deserve that, adding it was for that reason he decided he did not want to continue there. Gresini Ducati is his most likely destination for 2027, where he could reunite with his title winning Suzuki crew chief Frankie Carchedi. Honda’s rebuild leaves another champion behind.
Monster Energy will become Aprilia’s title sponsor in MotoGP from the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello, ending the Italian factory’s run as the only manufacturer on the grid without a title partner. The deal runs to the end of 2026 with a commitment to extend beyond this season. Both championship leader Bezzecchi and incoming 2027 signing Bagnaia hold personal contracts with Monster Energy. Monster’s deal with Yamaha expires at the end of 2026.
Alex Marquez will miss the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello and the Hungarian Grand Prix at Balaton Park as he recovers from the injuries sustained in his Barcelona crash. The earliest possible return is the Czech Grand Prix on 21 June at Brno. Gresini have no official reserve rider and will need to source a replacement, with Ducati test rider Michele Pirro the most likely option, though that depends on whether Marc Marquez is fit to return at Mugello.
MotoGP is seriously evaluating a regulation change that would give each rider access to only one bike per race weekend from 2027, with the proposal originating from the manufacturers as a primary cost cutting measure. The initiative is part of ongoing negotiations between the championship promoter and manufacturers covering the 2027 to 2031 period, and would need approval from the Grand Prix Commission before coming into force. Flag-to-flag wet race procedures would be among the biggest casualties of the change.
TT organisers have made significant changes to the 2026 qualifying schedule to reduce the risk of weather disruption. Wednesday May 27 will feature both daytime and evening qualifying sessions on the same day, with the full course closing from 12.30pm for Qualifying 3, reopening at 4.30pm and then closing again from 6pm for Qualifying 4. Thursday May 28 has been designated a full rest day but will also serve as a major contingency day should poor weather affect earlier sessions. Smarter planning after recent weather chaos.
Francesco Bagnaia heads to Mugello with a wrist injury concern after the Catalan Grand Prix. Bagnaia said he feels something is not in the right position in his left wrist and will need to get it checked again, adding that he will do a lot of physical therapy and avoid overtraining as it could make things worse. He also battled dizziness from a neck impact during the Turn 1 pile up and skipped his post-test media briefing to rest. Mugello fitness a serious concern.
Joan Mir crossed the line second at Barcelona before a tyre pressure penalty stripped the result. But his warning to Honda was clear regardless. Mir said he has to take too many risks to achieve podium results on the Honda and that you cannot do it for 22 races every single lap. He added that Honda need to improve so he can ride with more margin and compete on equal terms. Mir has since confirmed he will leave Honda at the end of 2026.
Brad Binder’s Catalan Grand Prix started before it even began. On his sighting lap Binder found his clutch had burnt out, leaving him unable to shift gears or stop the bike, and was forced to take his spare machine and start from the pit lane. He fought from 20th to eighth on the first restart before the second red flag, eventually finishing seventh after penalties. KTM team manager Aki Ajo insisted the four separate reliability issues across the weekend were unrelated.
Fabio Quartararo admitted the Catalan Grand Prix restart was one of the hardest moments of his season. Quartararo said it was not easy to restart after crossing the bridge at Turn 10 with Alex Marquez still on the floor, adding that he had goosebumps and that the most dangerous part of any restart is the standing start itself. He also admitted Yamaha found no performance steps all weekend and has no idea how to improve. A brutal day on every level.
Johann Zarco has spoken candidly about his Catalunya crash, admitting he regrets taking the restart. Zarco confirmed the ligaments in his knee tore and he suffered a small fracture at the base of his fibula. He left hospital on Monday and travelled to France, where he will visit knee specialist Dr Bertrand Sonnery-Cottet in Lyon on Tuesday to determine the next steps in his recovery. His season is in serious doubt.

