MotoGP chief Carmelo Ezpeleta has defended the decision to restart the Catalan Grand Prix twice after two major crashes hospitalised Alex Marquez and Johann Zarco. Ezpeleta said resuming the race was standard practice as both riders were conscious and not in critical condition, adding that the crashes were very graphic and shocking images, but that in normal circumstances the correct thing is to proceed with the race. He admitted his instinctive reaction was to stop but said the rules had to be followed to ensure fair competition.
Fabio Di Giannantonio has revealed the extent of Valentino Rossi’s trackside ability after the Catalan Grand Prix victory. Di Giannantonio said Rossi watches from trackside and spots details that would normally only show up in telemetry data, despite never having ridden the current generation of MotoGP machinery. Di Giannantonio had been hit by a wheel from Marquez’s destroyed bike earlier in the race yet still went on to win. Rossi called it insane. His rider called Rossi the same thing right back.
Joan Mir has questioned the tyre pressure penalty that cost him second place at the Catalan Grand Prix. Mir said he missed the required percentage of laps above the minimum pressure by a super tiny margin and called it strange that he received the full grand prix penalty when the race covered the same distance as a Saturday sprint, where the punishment would have been eight seconds instead of 16. Honda’s first podium of 2026 gone on a technicality.
Nicolo Bulega has sent Ducati a direct message from Most. The WorldSBK championship leader said he believes he now deserves a chance in MotoGP and that if he does not get it he will not be happy. Bulega and Luca Marini are competing for the second VR46 seat alongside Fermin Aldeguer for 2027, with Valentino Rossi stating he wants at least one Italian rider on his bikes. Both Bulega and Marini are Italian. Both want it badly.
Luca Marini could have a future at Ducati after losing his Honda seat for 2027. According to Moto IT, Marini has two realistic options, a return to VR46 under Valentino Rossi, or a test rider role at Ducati, where he has important admirers at Borgo Panigale. Ducati want a replacement for the 40-year-old Michele Pirro, and Marini has been praised for his technical feedback and contribution to bike development. The door at Ducati is open.
Joan Mir confirmed he made the decision to leave Honda at the Jerez Grand Prix last month. Mir said Honda gave him no news about his future at Jerez and that he does not deserve that, adding it was for that reason he decided he did not want to continue there. Gresini Ducati is his most likely destination for 2027, where he could reunite with his title winning Suzuki crew chief Frankie Carchedi. Honda’s rebuild leaves another champion behind.
Monster Energy will become Aprilia’s title sponsor in MotoGP from the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello, ending the Italian factory’s run as the only manufacturer on the grid without a title partner. The deal runs to the end of 2026 with a commitment to extend beyond this season. Both championship leader Bezzecchi and incoming 2027 signing Bagnaia hold personal contracts with Monster Energy. Monster’s deal with Yamaha expires at the end of 2026.
Alex Marquez will miss the Italian Grand Prix at Mugello and the Hungarian Grand Prix at Balaton Park as he recovers from the injuries sustained in his Barcelona crash. The earliest possible return is the Czech Grand Prix on 21 June at Brno. Gresini have no official reserve rider and will need to source a replacement, with Ducati test rider Michele Pirro the most likely option, though that depends on whether Marc Marquez is fit to return at Mugello.
MotoGP is seriously evaluating a regulation change that would give each rider access to only one bike per race weekend from 2027, with the proposal originating from the manufacturers as a primary cost cutting measure. The initiative is part of ongoing negotiations between the championship promoter and manufacturers covering the 2027 to 2031 period, and would need approval from the Grand Prix Commission before coming into force. Flag-to-flag wet race procedures would be among the biggest casualties of the change.
Francesco Bagnaia heads to Mugello with a wrist injury concern after the Catalan Grand Prix. Bagnaia said he feels something is not in the right position in his left wrist and will need to get it checked again, adding that he will do a lot of physical therapy and avoid overtraining as it could make things worse. He also battled dizziness from a neck impact during the Turn 1 pile up and skipped his post-test media briefing to rest. Mugello fitness a serious concern.